Who Is Banksy?
Banksy is possibly the most famous street artist in the world today with recent projects including Dismaland, Better Out than In, Exit Through the Gift Shop, and the current West Bank project “The Walled Off Hotel”. Due to decades of careful planning and deception, his/her/their true identity remains largely a mystery to this day. Only a select few like his publicist, former manager Steve Lazarides, and peers such as Shepard Fairey and Space Invader actually know his true identity. Over the years the Internet has claimed that Banksy is actually Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack, a woman seen in Exit Through the Gift Shop, Robin Banks, Thierry Guetta aka Mr. Brainwash, or Bristol resident Robin Gunningham. Other theories speculate that Banksy is a collective of artists working together or a woman seen in Exit Through the Gift Shop. However, all claims are largely unproven and Banksy’s identity remains the subject of much debate and speculation.
The Walled Off Hotel
Over the weekend a woman posted a video to YouTube purporting to show the Bristol, UK artist at work in an Israeli mall. The context of this chance encounter seems to validate her suspicions, unless this is merely an art assistant helping to prepare the upcoming show “The Art of Banksy” due to open in the Arena Mall in Herzliya Marina.
Here are the facts:
- The woman claims to have been asked to “sign-in” before entering the mall
- She noticed an English name on the sign-in list
- When asked “who is that?”, the security guard answered “an artist from England”
- “The Art of Banksy” exhibition is set to open in the mall on Tuesday
- The video clearly displays a man behind a partially closed door holding a stencil
- The man attempts to stop the woman from recording and holds up his hand
- The artist seems to be listening to electronic music (Del Naja is that you?)
Here are some of the alleged “identities” unmasked over the years:
What do you think? Has the world finally received the answer to the decades old question of WHO IS BANKSY?
Leave us a comment on our blog or discuss on our Facebook page.
H/T: The Sun